Date:      Tue, 19 Feb 2002 23:57:16 -0800 (PST)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To:        "George V. Neville-Neil" <gnn@neville-neil.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Kernel Debugging over the Ethernet?

On Tue, 19 Feb 2002, George V. Neville-Neil wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> 	Now that Luigi has put in polling support for some ethernet drivers
> I was wondering how much work it would be to make the remote kernel debugging
> run over the ethernet.  I have worked on systems like this before (it's the
> reason
> I did polling network device drivers in Wind River's VxWorks) but it depends
> on a debugging system that has the ability to have its back end swapped out.
>
> 	Who would I talk to about how kernel debugging works at the
> lowest layers right now?  Which source files should I look at first.

the gdb debugging piggybacks onto the ddb debugger
the file i386/i386/i386-gdbstub.c gives the basic
interface for the serial connection.

the serial part is in /sys/dev/sio/sio.c

I don't know what gdb does on the ethernet but my guess is that it's
already written there somewhere.

I guess using udp packets with an address set by a sysctl
would be sufficient,
especially if we had our own udp handler (which I'm told can be done in a
very small amount of code it we know what packets we are getting).