Date:      Wed, 29 Mar 2000 11:27:48 -0800 (PST)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>
To:        will@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        reg@shale.csir.co.za, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org, asami@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/16343: bsd.port.mk cannot override make.conf.

On Tue, 28 Mar 2000 will@FreeBSD.org wrote:

> State-Changed-From-To: open->feedback
> State-Changed-By: will
> State-Changed-When: Tue Mar 28 13:54:11 PST 2000
> State-Changed-Why:
> We need more feedback on this. I think it (the real problem) lies
> with ports that do not respect CFLAGS. I have verified (by building
> games/kbubbles with and without the line
>
> CFLAGS+=	-v
>
> and found that it does indeed respect CFLAGS in this manner).
>
> Therefore, should this PR be closed?

No, it's a definite problem. If you have CFLAGS set in make.conf (this is
a prerequisite for demonstrating the problem), you cannot override it from
within a port, e.g. if you need to add a -DFOO setting to get it to
compile.

I had to hack around this in USE_OPENSSL by adding an OPENSSL_CFLAGS which
needy ports would be taught to use. See pipsecd and bonnie for two ports
which want to play with CFLAGS.

Kris

----