Date:      Thu, 08 Mar 2001 13:23:52 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        Dennis <dennis@etinc.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: if_fxp - the real point

> maybe commercial vendors would be willing to fund some freebsd projects if
> there was a positive relationship.

They do, and there is.  I'm continually irritated that we can't work out
a better relationship with you/ETinc, since I think it'd be to our mutual
benefit.  You're just one of those people that we don't seem to get along
with. 8(

> And DG has been MIA for a long time, not just recently. The last time the
> fxp driver was broken i found the fix and pointed him at the code. I guess
> I'll have to fix it this time also, as if maintaining drivers for 6 serial
> cards and the bwmgr isnt enough  for me to do. Maybe I'll sell it this
> time. :-)

*laugh*  If you don't, please file it as a PR and beat people up until it
gets committed.  This is the best way to go, under the circumstances.

> >Call BSDi (numbers on their website) and ask to speak to Gary Johnson
> >(CEO) or Mark Garver (senior VP) and ask them yourself.  If you get a
> >useful answer, please tell the rest of us; especially me, since I burnt
> >out trying to make it happen.
>
> Ive spoken with Mr Johnson several times. hes the biggest reason that BSDI
> is what it is. Amazing that hes still there. He has no concept of what the
> market wants. First he wanted to challenge microsoft (at similar prices)
> for the server market now he wants to be redhat. funny guy.

If you're unhappy with the results you're getting from Gary, try calling
Kirk McKusick.  Keep kicking people.

> So what is the "relationship" that was announced? If they dont provide
> support or funds, what do they do?

That's a Very Good Question.