Date:      Mon, 26 Oct 1998 13:28:56 -0600 (CST)
From:      Britton Johnson <johnson@lindenwood.edu>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   (SUMMARY) Harddrive transplant

Thanks to all who took time to respond so quickly.  The over-all consensus
was that yes it should work without a hitch, assuming they are both more
or less generic systems and I am using a more or less GENERIC kernel.  One
person said they had a couple IRQ differences, but they were ironed out
quickly and easily.  Original question follows:

---  original question ---

I was curious if FreeBSD would complain if I transplanted a fully set up
harddrive to a newer faster pentium box.  I would be using the same NIC's
and no extra peripherals.  Everything that I can think of like the
harddrive controllers and Serial ports,etc.. use rather standard IRQ's etc
so I was wondering if anyone has had any success in an "operation" like
this or knew any reason that I am overlooking that it will not work.
(i.e. Win95 seems to be able to find lots of things to complain about if
you do this sort of thing, but FreeBSD "appears" to me to be more generic
and perhaps forgiving...)

 - Britton Johnson,  System Admin.  Lindenwood University, St. Charles, MO -
         Disclaimer: Any typos, grammatical errors, and/or lapses of
      intelligence are purely intentional.  Don't try this at home.  ;-)