Date:      Sun, 28 Nov 2004 11:36:13 -0600
From:      tenebrae <tenebrae@thcproductions.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How do Dell-Notebooks work with FreeBSD (video/audio/wlan)?

Paul Kaletta wrote:

>There is some choice about different displays, and some of them have
>very very high resolutions like 1600x1200 on a 15"-screen. Is such a
>display usable under X?

Dell Inspiron XPS w/ Mobility Radeon 9700 running the LCD in its native
1920x1200 using the x.org radeon driver.  It's beautiful.

>I wanted to play around with audio-software, so how good is the build-in
>audio-card?

The built-in audio is nothing to write home to mom about, so to speak,
but the only audio I ever do on a un*x box (not including my Mac, which
is my platform of choice for audio editing and multitrack recording) is
playing mp3s or listening to cds.

I don't use WLAN, so I can't speak to that.  It's just not fast enough
for moving around large (500+ MB) audio files.  Thankfully, the built-in
gig ethernet adapter is better suited for that task.  HTH.
     -W