Date:      Tue, 6 Jun 2000 18:24:33 +1000
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Dell OptiPlex GX110 video

Anyone got X running on a Dell OptiPlex GX110?

I'm not sure whether FreeBSD 4.0R isn't recognising the video chip
correctly, or I'm not guessing correctly.

I've spent three solid work days trying every configuration I can
imagine, first with XFree86 3.3.5 then 3.3.6, with various servers...
VGA16, SVGA, S3, Mach??, ... and most give me 320x200 with 3/4 of the
screen off-screen. Today again I threw caution to the wind and fluked
640x480 with 16 colours (not bits, colours) and it's hideous and slow.
I really hope it's just some silly oversight.

Sorry I'm not reporting very well. The machine's an hour away with no
Internet and it can't be moved, but I could sit there and write stuff down
and email it the next day if that's any use. Better, though, if someone
out there happens to have clues for these machines already.

Specs are at http://support.dell.com/docs/systems/opgx110/en/ug/index.htm
while on bootup I see
vga0: <Generic ISA VGA> at port 0x3c0-0x3df iomem 0xa0000-0xbffff on isa0
Doesn't look good, huh?

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-