Date:      Mon, 30 May 2011 19:31:18 -0400
From:      Mark Saad <nonesuch@longcount.org>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, "hackers@freebsd.org" <hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Freebsd on the sun x4440

On Sat, May 28, 2011 at 8:47 PM, Erich Dollansky
<erichfreebsdlist@ovitrap.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to suggest to try 8.2.
>
> It is my experience that the different version behave very different on t=
he same hardware. It does not mean that the newer version is the better. As=
 an example, I have a machine here on 7.x as 8.0 did not support the USB ha=
rdware found. After a machine works with a branch, I will stick with this b=
ranch on the specific machine until the end of support for the branch. This=
 make life much easier and keeps surprises away.

While 8.2 has some nice features we are sticking with 7.x for the time
being. Also I did not see any improvement using 8.2v.

> On Thursday 17 May 2012 07:34:50 Mark Saad wrote:
>> All
>> =C2=A0 I am setting up 3 sun x4440 with freebsd 7.3 amd64 . The severs h=
ave 4x 4-core opterons and 128G of ram each . Once the servers boot they ar=
e a good fit for what we are doing and preform well . The odd thing I am se=
eing is a long delay in boot up . Once in the initial loading of the kernel=
 at the "|" for 1-2 mins . Then again shortly after printing the kernel ban=
ner "freebsd 7.3-release etc etc etc" . =C2=A0This delay is about 1-2 mins =
as well. =C2=A0So my question does any one know what I could do to speed up=
 the boot up ? I suspect the first delay is due to a serial =C2=A0device pr=
obe the second is a mystery . also the bios load up time is about 5 mins on=
 this box does anyone have any ideas on speeding that up ?

> Does this machine have SCSI or SAS hardware? If the controllers are there=
 but not drives are installed, a GENERIC kernel will wait for some time for=
 SCSI to settle. If you deactivate SCSI or reduce the waiting time, at leas=
t a part of the problem is solved.

Its not SCSI / SAS probe time its well before that part of the boot up stag=
e.