Date:      Wed, 5 Jul 2006 11:19:38 -0600
From:      John E Hein <jhein@timing.com>
To:        Thierry Thomas <thierry@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>, FreeBSD-emulation <freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Missing libg2c.so.0 ?

Thierry Thomas wrote at 17:30 +0200 on Jul  5, 2006:
 > Quoting Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net> on Wed  5 jul
 > 16:56:24 2006:
 >
 > > If you need this linux lib we have two possibilities:
 > >  1) make a port with it
 > >  2) add it to the fc4 linux base
 > >
 > > If there's only one or two ports which need the lib, I suggest 1), if
 > > there are a lot more ports, I suggest 2).
 >
 > I need it only for one port (the next upgrade of french/gibi), but it
 > might be useful for other ports. Do you know if it is commonly used?

libg2c is part of the gcc-g77 rpm.
g77 has been replaced by gfortran in the gcc 4.x series.
gfortran doesn't need/use/build libg2c.

So if you want to still try to use this app (which seems to be built
from the older g77/gcc compilers), you need to include a dependency
on the gcc-g77 rpm.

As Alexander said, you can either include that rpm directly in your
port or add a separate port for it.  To help decide, you might have to
grub around the linux ports to see if anything else might depend on
fortran stuff.

We probably don't want it in the fc4 linux base.  fc4 uses gcc-4
and gfortran as opposed to the old g77.

Your other option is to see if you can find or build a version of your
linux app based on a newer gcc/gfortran (that doesn't bring in the
libg2c dependency).  This is best IMO if that option is available.

That said, the new version of your port may then have a dependency on
libgfortran and you may be trading one missing dep for another.  I
have not looked to see if any of the linux-* ports have been
made that include libgfortran.  I suspect not.  In fedora core, that
lib is in the libgfortran rpm.