Date:      Thu, 6 Mar 1997 19:03:51 +1100
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        mkerr@kerris.com, msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problems with 2.1 Probe?

>> I have disabled sio0 and sio1 in every configuration because I don't use
>> them.  I've tried booting with my normal kernel, with the kernel.old, and
>> with the generic kernel.
>
>I should have been more accurate; if you have physical sio0 or sio1 hardware
>installed, you generally _cannot_ use IRQ 3 or 4.

Wrong.  sio provides full support for using sio0 and sio1 in polled mode
and sio2 and sio3 in interrupt mode, and vice versa, when they have the
usual IRQ4 and IRQ3 interrupt conflict (configure a null irq to get polled
mode).  Just disabling the ones that you don't want to use usually works
too (it depends how the BIOS and/or the previously running OS left them).

>> I'll try that.  The modem is a 33,600 modem, one of the new ones, although
>> a noname.  The 28.8 I used was a Boca, though exhibited similar problems.
>> Interestingly though, I am able to get it to detect fine if I a) boot with
>> kernel.GENERIC and b) remove the ethernet card.
>>
>> Ethernet card IRQ: 10	Base: 0x280
>> Modem         IRQ: 5	Base: 0x3E8
>>
>> There should be no conflict here, yet if I boot with the generic kernel
>> and not have the ethernet card plugged in, it works.  If I plug the card
>> it, it doesn't.  Similar config does not work on subsequent kernel builds
>> other than generic.

Someone reported serious serial data loss caused by some non-obvious
conflict with an old ethernet card.  Unfortunately :-) the probe worked.

Bruce