Date:      Sat, 2 Nov 1996 15:50:45 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        dev@trifecta.com (Dev Chanchani)
Cc:        marcs@znep.com, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: chroot() security

Dev Chanchani stands accused of saying:

> Basically, how can someone get out of a chroot()'ed environment is they
> get root? Can they access the filesystem outsite their chroot()'ed
> directory? I know they can place their own binaries and begin to sniff,
> etc, but can they easily get out of their environment? Also, can a user
> access the inode table or does the kernel only access the inode table?

Depending on how the filesystem they're in is mounted, one quick way out
is to make some device nodes that reference the system's disks (rememeber,
a little bit out redirection sleight-of-hand and they can upload any
binary they like).

Alternatively, they can make themselves a nuisance by shooting down other
processes, rebooting the machine, you name it.