Date:      Mon, 18 Feb 2002 17:32:27 +0100
From:      Martin Faxér <gmh003532@brfmasthugget.se>
To:        "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.org, bright@mu.org
Subject:   Re: good video cards @ ~100$?

On 18 Feb 2002 18:18:52 +1130
"Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au> wrote:

> On Mon, 2002-02-18 at 17:59, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
> > Anything reasonably decent for video at around 100$ I can pickup at
> > Frys that'll work with xfree4?  I'm trying to play dvd/video and
> > my mach64 card is showing its age.  (or at least that's the most
> > likely culpret in this 1.2ghz box...)
> >
> > Anything out there what I might want to spring more money for that's
> > really worth it?
>
> GeForce 2 MX?
> You'll need to use Matthew Dodd's nvidia shim stuff but it works well
> for playing movies etc.

Using Matthew N. Dodd's NVIDIA driver is not necessary... The GeForce2 MX
works fine with the standard XFree86 4.x nv driver (I'd say that it's
preferable to use the standard nv driver, at least until the VT switching
bugs have been fixed).

I agree with you that the GeForce2 MX is a cheap card well worth it's money.
My experiences with it in FreeBSD have been good, and DVD playing works quite
OK (although I think my DVD-drive kinda sucks).