Date:      Mon, 20 Dec 1999 21:33:23 +1100
From:      Nick Slager <nicks@albury.net.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   MD5 - Is there life after DES?

We have several old BSDI machines with a few thousand accounts we would
really like to move over to FreeBSD. The old BSDI boxen have encrypted
passwords based on DES, and obviously FreeBSD by default uses the MD5
algorithm.

We can quite easily bring all the BSDI users across to FreeBSD, after
installing the DES port from ftp.internat.freebsd.org. Sadly, from that point
on all new accounts have DES passwords, not MD5.

Now DES is nice and standard, but also eminently crackable. In addition, the
FreeBSD project seems to have standardized on MD5, and hence appears to be "the
way of the future".

So: is there a way to have both DES and MD5 support on a box, but have MD5 as
the default? This would sort of be the reverse of the current situation, where
MD5 and DES libs are both installed, but DES is default. We really only want
DES as a legacy, "if we must" option.

Any help/suggestions appreciated.

Nick.