Date:      Mon, 19 May 1997 00:34:57 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bernie Doehner <bad@uhf.wireless.net>
To:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   any other Wincast/mono owners out there? (+ STB WinTV not keeping sync?)

Hi:

Just wondering, am I the only person running a Wincast/mono under FreeBSD?

If you also have one under FreeBSD, PLEASE drop me a line.

After finaly getting the tuner coded correctly for my Wincast/mono (probe
was incorrectly detecting as Temic PAL), I could pick up one strong local
UHF channel, but this card was having a difficult time keeping vertical
sync (picture was jittery in the vertical direction).

Also, the VHF offsets seem to be off, because I could get channel 10,12
(which are copyable on a TV through the same antenna).

I am going to send this one back, and getting either a Wincast dbx (which
many of you seem to have) or a STB.

Steve mentioned that the STB card he used to have had a lot more trouble
syncing that his current wincast/tv dbx. I wonder if that is generaly true
or if maybe some of you with newer STB cards can comment on wether STB's
still have more trouble locking than Wincasts.

I am wondering if the failure to sync is a reflection on product quality
or just poor quality control.

Bernie