Date:      Sun, 16 Apr 2000 11:44:00 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Steven Farmer <steve@megahack.com>
To:        sperber@informatik.uni-tuebingen.de (Michael Sperber [Mr. Preprocessor])
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   isa0: unexpected tag 14

    Michael> Just brought my last 2.2-STABLE machine over to FreeBSD
    Michael> 4.
    Michael> Now, booting produces the message
    Michael> isa0: unexpected tag 14
    Michael> and, about half the time, locks up the machine.
    Michael> The only thing on the ISA bus is a SB AWE64.
    Michael> Can someone shed light on this?

Well, I don't know how helpful this is, but no one else has jumped in
with the answer, so I'll pass this along in hopes that it might be
useful.  I too have an AWE64 and at boot time I see:

   isa0: too many dependent configs (8)
   isa0: unexpected small tag 14

but my system never locks up.  Sound is working well enough for me.
My kernel config has:

    device    pcm
    device    sbc
    device    joy

If I do a boot -v, the "too many dependent configs" message appears to
be associated with device CTL0045, and the "unexpected small tag 14"
line seems to be associated with device CTL0022.  Running
/usr/sbin/pnpinfo shows me that CTL0045 is the Creative SB AWE64 PnP,
and CTL0022 is the WaveTable device on the same card.  I also see "***
Small Vendor Tag Detected" when pnpinfo scans the WaveTable device.

I gather that the WaveTable device isn't supported for FBSD 4.0.

Even though you may have only the SB isa card, there are other things
on the isa bus, and I'm guessing your hang may be due to a resource
conflict.  Maybe a boot -v would help you narrow it down.

Good luck,

Steve