Date:      Mon, 14 Feb 2000 12:06:19 -1000
From:      Clifton Royston <cliftonr@lava.net>
To:        Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "Charles N. Owens" <owensc@enc.edu>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 3.4, Samba, HP LaserJet 5N, delays, reboots

On Mon, Feb 14, 2000 at 11:57:42AM +0000, Nik Clayton wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 11, 2000 at 05:18:04PM -0500, Charles N. Owens wrote:
> > I'm not 100% sure what the proper workaround is.  Perhaps an added flag in
> > printcap that tells lpd not to query the next hop when answering lpq
> > queries.  Or maybe some kind of aggressive timeout mechanism...
> > Suggestions anyone?
>
> I think the best workaround for the time being is plug the printer in over
> the parallel port, and connect that way.  Then the spooler on Windows will
> be talking to the BSD lpd, which can respond immediately.
>
> The only reason I'm not doing this is because it seemed to crash the machine.
> However, as a data point, my home network has a couple of Win98 machines
> which print to a FreeBSD machine, which has an Epson Stylus Color 760 hung
> off the parallel port.  The entry in that machine's kernel config file
> is
>
>     device          ppc0    at isa? port? net irq 7
>
> and I've never had a problem with printing from Windows, even with the
> 'net' flag.  This is with -stable built on Jan 17th this year.

  I suspect the HP-1100s would be much "chattier" than the Epson in
terms of input interrupts on the parallel port, because (even if yours
doesn't have one) that printer family is designed to include input
attachments like scanners which send bulk data to the PC through the
parallel interface.

  If the Epson printer is a pure output device and never tries to
"talk" on the parallel port, presumably it never generates some of the
interrupts which are being caught by the net driver in FreeBSD and
causing the problem here.

  It's possible you might be able to configure your chipset in the BIOS
to simply ignore any input on your parallel port; have you checked
there?  (Of course poking around in there and experimenting is not a
*lot* less trouble than changing the kernel driver and recompiling.)
  -- Clifton

--
 Clifton Royston  --  LavaNet Systems Architect --  cliftonr@lava.net
        "An absolute monarch would be absolutely wise and good.