Date:      Sun, 24 Feb 2008 22:09:36 -0600
From:      User 1001 <supraexpress@globaleyes.net>
To:        knowtree@aloha.com, freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Xorg wil not start, nv module fails to load

The nVidia configuration file is now "/etc/X11/xorg.conf". If you have
an old "/etc/X11/XF86Config" file, you can start be renaming it. You
could also use the "nvidia-xconfig" package or the "X -config
<filename>" command to generate a default/barebones xorg configuration
file (which may have to be moved to "/etc/X11").

You will need to decide whether to use the "nv" or "nvidia" driver
(there is a MANual page for "nv"). I forget the technical differences
between the two. Also - if you want to use/take advantage of nVidia's
GLX code, then the default xorg glx library needs to be renamed and the
nVidia glx library symlinked such as:

/usr/local/lib/xorg/modules/extensions//libglx.so ->
/usr/local/lib/xorg/modules/extensions//libglx.so.1

where the latter is the nVidia glx library and the original xorg
"ligblx.so" has been deleted or renamed.