Date:      Mon, 12 Apr 1999 09:13:34 +0200
From:      Rudi Opperman <rudi@askas.co.za>
To:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   how to determine the speed of a connection dynamically ?

hi
hope this is the correct place to ask this ...

Suppose i have a server (eg http) that wants to respond dynamically to
various clients connecting at variable speeds .. (eg no compression for
fast links, lossy compession for slow  links ).

What is the best way to determine such characteristics of a connection
(assuming a connection oriented protocol) and what does one do with
connectionless protocols?
Also how would a proxy/gateway complicate analysis?

I seems too simplistic to ping based on source address and then use
derived timing info as accurate - but this was suggested as a solution!
I would assume that there would be some protocol dedicated to deriving
this info

tia
rudi