Date:      Fri, 29 Dec 1995 14:33:41 -0500 (EST)
From:      Craig Huckabee <huck@nise-ch.nosc.mil>
To:        davidg@Root.COM
Cc:        shovey@buffnet.net, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pty limit of 64

> >> 	Is there a way to increase the number of ptys beyond 64?
>
>    As for ptys, 32 units are fully supported for each of ttyp, q, r, and s,
> and if you're not using xterms, another 32 ptys each are supported for P, Q, R,
> and S...for a total of 256 ptys.

	So how does this relate to the option

   pseudo-device	pty	16	#Pseudo ttys - can go as high as 64

	found in the kernel config?

	I made the ttyp, q, r, s, and P devices and added them to
	/etc/ttys before posting - I had overlooked the above line
	in my kernel config.

	After posting the question, I went out on a limb and built a
	new kernel with 'pseudo-device pty 160' which would match what
	I had put in /etc/ttys & what I had done in /dev.  It built OK
	and is running OK, but config generated a pty.h file that
	contained something like '#define NPTY 1606', so I gotta be doing
	something wrong.

	Does that make the question any clearer or am I misunderstanding
	the meaning of the pseudo-device line?  BTW, this is with ver. 2.1

	Thanks,
	Craig
	huck@nosc.mil