Date:      Wed, 10 Mar 2004 07:24:26 -1000
From:      juli mallett <jmallett@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net>
Cc:        Perforce Change Reviews <perforce@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: PERFORCE change 48556 for review

* Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net> [ Date: 2004-03-10 ]
	[ w.r.t. Re: PERFORCE change 48556 for review ]
> On Wed, Mar 10, 2004 at 09:17:22AM +0100, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> > In message <200403100801.i2A810eC071863@repoman.freebsd.org>, Marcel Moolenaar
> > >	Note that most #ifdef DDB instances have to be replaced
> > >	with #ifdef DEBUG, because DDB is specific to a single
> > >	back-end, not to having debugging support in general. A
> > >	new option, GDB, has been added to add support for gdb.
> > >	This has to be worked-out still.
> >
> > #ifdef DEBUG is a singulary bad choice since much code have private
> > use of that macro.
>
> The point of using a define is to be able to get rid of the debugger
> calls in production systems. It doesn't matter if DEBUG has private
> meaning as long as it relates to having debugging code. Other than
> that, anything else is fine too, as long as it's not DDB.

I disagree.  What if you are defining DEBUG and a file was once:

#if	DEBUG
	/* Ignore privlege elevation checks or something similarly
	 * dangerous, in the hopes of figuring out what's going on
	 * and then leave the system in a useless state so I can
	 * debug my own code.
	 */
#endif
#if	DDB
	 /* For the average user, just show a warning and backtrace
	  * to show me.
	  */
#endif

What PHK means is "#if DEBUG" is other people's macro, it's ambiguous,
and it's not necessarily the sort of debugging you want to enable.  As
long as you're running with "kdb" why not:
	#if KDB
	#if KERNEL_DEBUGGER
	#if KERNEL_DEBUGGING
	#if KDEBUGGER