Date:      Fri, 28 Jun 1996 17:38:57 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Nathan Lawson <nlawson@kdat.csc.calpoly.edu>
To:        terry@lambert.org (Terry Lambert)
Subject:   Re: I need help on this one - please help me track this guy down!

> > > Seriously, you must be root to create a setuid root file.  It doesn't
> > > matter *how* you try to create it.
> >
> > A five dollar question Vince:
> >
> > does root have .rhosts in his home directory?  What is to be found there?
> > If he does, throw it away; it's enormously insecure.  Similar with
> > /etc/host.equiv et cetera.
>
> man ruserok
>
> The authentication for vouchsafe protocols (rcmd/rsh based protocols)
> *specifically* ignores hosts.equiv and hosts.lpd for root.  If root
> does not have a .rhosts, then it is secure from vouchsafe attack this
> way.

Nice try, Terry, but since /bin and /usr/bin and all the binaries on the
system are owned by bin, a hosts.equiv might as well allow root access.
I can su to bin on my host, rsh over to victim, replace /usr/libexec/telnetd
with a script, telnet to localhost, and have my script run as root.

As I have said many times before, this is a vulnerable path to allowing normal
users (in this case bin) more privileges than necessary.  All binaries run as
root MUST be owned by root.  Any other protection is inadequate.

--
Nate Lawson                  "There are a thousand hacking at the branches of
CPE Senior                    evil to one who is striking at the root."