Date:      Wed, 1 Mar 2006 17:24:06 -0500
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
To:        "Poul-Henning Kamp" <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        Mike Jakubik <mikej@rogers.com>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Still seeing "calcru: runtime went backwards" messages

On Wednesday 01 March 2006 17:15, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> In message <44061AFC.4080109@rogers.com>, Mike Jakubik writes:
>

> >Mar  1 17:04:27 fbsd kernel: calcru: runtime went backwards from 6995
> >usec to 6994 usec for pid 662 (perl)
>
> Backwards steps of this small nature are to be expected from the
> cpu_tick (TSC) calibration in kern_tc.c
>
> It is possible that they can be eliminated with a more precise (and
> therefore timeconsuming) calibration calculation.

Maybe we could make the dynamic flag for the tsc controllable via tunable?
If I have a server machine without any fancy pentium-m cpufreq type stuff,
then I would rather just use the tsc frequency snapshot taken at boot and
just stick with that as the static frequency then have a bunch of warnings
on the console if the max freq changes sometime later.  Also, note that
I am still getting a bunch of the backwards messages on my DS20 Alpha which
is _not_ using the TSC. :)  (I should probably fix Alpha to use its own
version of the TSC at some point, but for now I want to get it to stop
spitting out the warnings when using the timecounters as that shouldn't
be causing any warnings).