Date:      Sat, 12 Sep 2015 10:41:28 -0700
From:      Tim Kientzle <tim@kientzle.com>
To:        freebsd-arm <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: single user mode freebsd11/rpi2

> On Sep 12, 2015, at 8:04 AM, John <freebsd-lists@potato.growveg.org> =
wrote:
>=20
> Hello list,
>=20
> I need to either make the system single user node by either becoming
> it (as root, shutdown now) or booting into it (either at the boot =
prompt or
> with nextboot) and I can do neither, so obviously I'm going about this
> the wrong way. "shutdown now" never returns a prompt and=20
> "nextboot -o "-s" -k kernel *will* boot the kernel after shutdown -p
> but I get no prompt. Last two lines of output:
>=20
> warning: no time-of-day clock registered, system time will not be set =
accurately
> random: unblocking device.
>=20
> and there it sits. I left it for 15 mins to make sure it wasn't just =
slow.
> ctrl-alt-del rebooted the pi but other than that, nothing had any =
effect.

The default system console is the serial console.

You'll need one of these (or something equivalent):

    http://www.adafruit.com/product/954

Here's a good picture showing how to connect it:

=
http://tinkersphere.com/raspberry-pi-accessories/317-usb-to-ttl-serial-cab=
le-for-raspberry-pi-debugging.html

Note:  The red wire does not need to be connected:  If you do connect =
it, it will provide power and the board will boot, which may or may not =
be what you want.  (In particular, if you have USB accessories plugged =
into your RPI2, the red wire here may not provide enough power.)

This will also give you access to the U-Boot and ubldr prompts.

>=20
> How can I make it single user mode? The reason this needs to be done =
is
> I need to move some filesystems around.

If you have another FreeBSD machine, you can mount the SD card there to =
do major surgery like this.

Cheers,

Tim