Date:      5 Sep 2000 02:29:30 +0200
From:      naddy@mips.inka.de (Christian Weisgerber)
To:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Keeping a DLT4000 streaming?

Wilko Bulte <wkb@freebie.demon.nl> wrote:

> DLTs need data like hungry piranhas to keep streaming ;-)

I know.  I'm prepared to shove as much down its throat as it will
take, but somehow this fish doesn't want to swallow.

> My DLT4000 generally does not stream. It is hooked up to a seperate
> AH2940UW (you generally don't want your disks on the same SCSI
> bus). Reportedly using tools like 'team' should help by buffering
> the data. I have not tried that yet.

I transfer single large files (complete filesystem dumps) from a
holding disk to tape.  The DLT4000 is on its own narrow/fast-10
bus (Sym810A), the disk is on a different wide/fast-20 bus (Sym875).
Reading from the disk to /dev/null gives me ~8MB/s.

I have used buffer(1) from the beginning, then tried team(1) as
well.  Tried different blocksizes, up to 64kB and multiples thereof.

With compression _disabled_ the DLT streams along happily at 1.4MB/s,
as shown by iostat(8).  With compression _enabled_, it keeps
backhitching.  Average transfer rate, and in fact also the transfer
rate for the short periods between stops when it is streaming, is
~2.7MB/s (as per "iostat -d 1"), give or take some, but under
3.0MB/s.

> See the attached script to get compression and error stats from
> the drive.

I'll try this.

> In addition there is a mode page setting (at least on DLT7000,
> but I think 4000 has it too) that selects 'capacity' or 'speed'
> mode.

Details?  The manual extensively documents the available mode page
settings, and there is no mention of such an option.