Date:      Wed, 20 Mar 2002 09:11:15 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Cc:        tlambert2@mindspring.com
Subject:   Re: rtld messing up?

In article <3C967B2D.9C0403FD@mindspring.com>,
Terry Lambert  <tlambert2@mindspring.com> wrote:
> John Polstra wrote:
> > All I know is this:  The dynamic linker was working just fine for
> > years.  Then we got a new version of binutils, and lots of problems
> > started happening.  The dynamic linker wasn't changed -- binutils
> > was.  I have no idea what got broken, but I kind of doubt that the
> > bug is in the dynamic linker.
>
> The new binutils screws over some basic long-standing assumptions
> about field ordering and associativity in the object files, which
> are no longer maintained (for whatever reason) in the new version
> of the tools.
>
> Some of them have been identified and repaired (e.g. the Alpha
> code changes for the section/segment order assumption), but it
> is going to probably be a long battle.
>
> Technically, the ELF spec permits the ordering, so the assumptions
> are really "broken", even though they code for what's really a
> defacto-standard of many years, now.  8-(.

Can you be more specific?  To the best of my knowledge, I made no
assumptions beyond what the spec promised.  The only exception is that
the dynamic linker relies on the program header being in the first
page of the file, an assumption shared by the kernel as well.  I don't
think that assumption is wrong, or nothing would run at all.

John
--
  John Polstra