Date:      Mon, 5 Jul 2004 13:20:19 -0700
From:      Clint Olsen <clint@0lsen.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Using DHCP /and/ name recognition w/o running BIND

Hi:

I am running a small network behind a D-Link firewall router, and I have a
multitude of machines running on the NAT side.  Generally, I use static IPs
on the network for the FreeBSD machines (since they are often servers) and
the Windows clients use DHCP.  It would be nice if there was some way to be
able to use the symbolic name for the windows clients since their IP
addresses are free to change all the time.  The D-Link does have the
concept of static DHCP where each MAC address is assigned an IP to always
be issued when requested, but I'm concerned that if/when the D-Link gives
up the ghost that I'll have to scramble and find something that's a bit
more robust and not tied to my router capabilities.

It seems to be overkill to run BIND for just my small network here of 4 or
so machines, so I was hoping there was a more lightweight way to handle
this.

There seems to be a current undocumented feature of most of these routers
that if you use the router as a DNS server entry that it automagically
forwards those requests to the DNS entries on the WAN side.  However, for
tools like nslookup that make explicit connections to the server, this does
not work correctly.

Thanks,

-Clint