Date:      Sun, 7 Mar 1999 18:09:29 -0700
From:      Allen Campbell <allenc@bamboo.verinet.com>
To:        tlambert@primenet.com
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: A BSD-licensed GUI toolkit?

> I want to respond more in depth to this thread, so I've held back;
> but I need to ask a clarifying question, and then make a comment
> on track with my previously stated general thesis:
>

> > I think the idea of an XML based toolkit, with style sheets, has a lot
> > of merit.
>
> How does this interact with the recent patent issued to Microsoft
> regarding style sheets?
>
> Specifically, have you obtained a license to use that patent yet?
> If not, then anything involving style sheets is pretty much a
> wasted effort, at this point.

As you know, they have made no attempt to enforce this patent, and
if they did, Prior Art would expose this for the absurdity that it is,
which is why they won't.  This is born out by the fact that Microsoft has
already publicly stated that a blanket license exists without explicit
permission for anyone using style sheets.  Attempting to reverse this
at some point in the future would fail.

Personally, I wish they would try to enforce it.  The Justice Department
would have a field day with it, and in the end this little matter would
be cleared up.

--
  Allen Campbell
  allenc@verinet.com