Date:      Sun, 5 May 1996 01:22:34 -0500
From:      Jim Fleming <JimFleming@unety.net>
To:        "'freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   FW: IPv8 Tutorial #1: Minimal IPv8 hack

On Sunday, May 05, 1996 10:45 AM, Darren Reed[SMTP:avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au] wrote:
@ > There is an IPv8 header file referenced at...
@ > 	http://comm.unety.net/US/IL/Naperville/Unir
@
@ ok, thanks for the URL.
@

That URL should help give you an overview...working
with code and transporting packets gives one first-hand
experience.

By the way, IPv8 can also be used to disable checksums
and for certain "security" tricks on internal networks.

@ > There are macros to test the version and options bits...
@ >
@ > You have to use "&" and not "==" to make sure you
@ > are testing just one bit at a time. Only the high bit
@ > of the IPv4 version field (ip->ip_v) is used for version.
@
@ But 4 = 0100, 6 = 0110, 8 = 1000, etc.
@

Yes...and you will note that 4 and 6 both have the high
bit as 0. IPv8 takes that bit, sets it to 1 and then "borrows"
the other bits. A more accurate description would be...

"@ But 4 = 0100, 6 = 0110, 8 = 1XXX, etc."

@ I'm not sure if you're aware of this, but there is an IPv6 being developed by
@ a large number of people.
@

I have been at this over 20 years...I am very aware of IPv6.
Have you ever seen some of the "private" opinions about
IPv6 from some of the experts that designed it...???

@ Hmmm.
@
@ I'm *very* concerned that you're doing this.
@

I am glad that you are concerned. Maybe you can help
launch and administer the Australian/New Zealand Galaxy?

@ Have you submitted any documentation on this to the IETF ?
@

The IETF is only concerned with a small subset of the IPv8
OuterInternet. Galaxy 0: StarGate 0: has been allocated to
the Legacy Internet. The IPv8 OuterInternet is built on the
"outside" of the Legacy Internet.

@ Protocol numbers aren't there to be chosen lightly, they should be
@ registered with the IANA first, before use.
@

The IANA is only involved with the Legacy Internet. The
IANA has nothing to do with the OuterInternet. The OuterInternet
will be administered by true "trusteeships" and not individuals.

--
Jim Fleming
UNETY Systems, Inc.

e-mail: JimFleming@unety.net