Date:      Mon, 2 Jul 2012 15:42:30 -0700
From:      Doug Hardie <bc979@lafn.org>
To:        Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl>
Cc:        "questions@FreeBSD.org Questions" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 9.0 hang

On 2 July 2012, at 08:50, Wojciech Puchar wrote:

>>=20
>> link_eif symbol atm_event undefined
>> KLD if_en.ko: depends on utopia - not available or version mismatch.

Those were the last 2 lines on the console before the hang.  There is =
nothing at all in messages about this.  I suspect the system was not =
totally hung, just the etnernet interfaces (2 different ones) as I could =
still ping both interfaces successfully.  However, no attempt to access =
any service worked.

>>=20
>> I haven't found anything relevant on those through Google.  if_en.ko =
os present as is utopia.ko.  I don't understand why the kernel would try =
to load if_en as I don't have any of those devices.  There are em0 and =
dc0 ethernet interfaces.  This is almost a generic kernel.  The config =
file contains:
> Was that line printed just before hangup?
>=20
> Do you actually tried to load ATM interface driver. If no - check why =
it loads at all.

I have no ATM interfaces so it shouldn't be loading to my way of =
thinking.
>=20
> Check what is last in your logfile.

Nothing.
>=20
> Check if any addon drivers you use (fuse.ko, vboxdrv.ko) was compiled =
with the same kernel sources that you compiled kernel.

kldstat -v shows:

 2    1 0xc5b36000 4000     fdescfs.ko (/boot/kernel/fdescfs.ko)
	Contains modules:
		Id Name
		493 fdescfs
 3    1 0xc5c8f000 3000     pflog.ko (/boot/kernel/pflog.ko)
	Contains modules:
		Id Name
		495 pflog
 4    1 0xc5c92000 34000    pf.ko (/boot/kernel/pf.ko)
	Contains modules:
		Id Name
		494 pf

if_en is not listed as compiled into the kernel.

The kernel and userland were built shortly after an install from =
memstick image using the procedure in UPDATING:

        To rebuild everything and install it on the current system.
        # Note: sometimes if you are running current you gotta do more =
than
        # is listed here if you are upgrading from a really old current.

        <make sure you have good level 0 dumps>
        make buildworld
        make kernel KERNCONF=3DYOUR_KERNEL_HERE
                                                        [1]
        <reboot in single user>                         [3]
        mergemaster -p                                  [5]
        make installworld
        mergemaster -i                                  [4]
        make delete-old                                 [6]
        <reboot>

After that the ports and application software were installed.  Basically =
the only services that run on this system are nagios and mrtg.  It is =
used only as a monitoring system for my production server and for =
testing new software.  It has only been used for monitoring since the =
upgrade.  I can't do any development work till I get the production =
servers upgraded from 8.2 to 9.0.

>=20
> If this doesn't help then recompile your kernel with
>=20
> makeoptions    		DEBUG=3D"-O0 -g"
> options                INCLUDE_CONFIG_FILE
> options                DEADLKRES
> options                KDB
> options                DDB
> options                INVARIANTS
> options                INVARIANT_SUPPORT
> options                WITNESS
> options                WITNESS_SKIPSPIN
> options                DIAGNOSTIC
>=20
> make sure that dump device is active
>=20
> dumpon=3D"/dev/dumpdevicename"
>=20
> and reboot with that kernel.
>=20
> At next crash you will get full dump with all symbols and all data =
where it crashes.

When this repeats I will do that.  Thanks for the help.

-- Doug