Date:      Tue, 17 Oct 2017 00:24:43 -0700
From:      Christopher Bowman <crb@chrisbowman.com>
To:        =?utf-8?Q?Roberto_Fern=C3=A1ndez?= <roberfern@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: apart difficulties

Roberto,
	I=E2=80=99m not sure all my machines can boot a gpt partition so =
I wanted the least common denominator.  I have a handful of these cheap =
small flash sticks that I intend to use for various version and there =
isn=E2=80=99t really a benefit to gpt (except that it might actually =
work).
	I would look into the code but I haven=E2=80=99t a clue where =
that would be and I figured someone else might be more of an expert in =
this area and could find it faster.
	Thanks for the comments and the gpt suggestion, I may actually =
try that.
Christopher

<roberfern@gmail.com> wrote:
>=20
> Hi Cristopher,
>=20
> before starting I was wandering why have you chose a MBR partitioning
> scheme instead of a GPT one, but never the less, I will try to help
> you with that.
>=20
<mailto:crb@chrisbowman.com>>:
>> I have a home server with a fairly large amount of zfs disk space =
where I keep all of my persistent data.  As a result when new releases =
of FreeBSD come out I tend backup the root images of my machines to the =
zfs pool and, starting with the least important box, I blow away all the =
local partitions and reinstall from scratch.  Then I mount the server =
zfspool and restore config files and packages.  As a result my machines =
stay pretty up to date and clean.  Lately rather than burning DVDs =
I=E2=80=99ve decided that I will create a usb boot disks containing the =
entire DVD contents and simply go down the line and and install on one =
machine after the other.  My machine can now all boot off USB but =
don=E2=80=99t all have DVD drives.
>>=20
>> I have the following script below which I was using to try configure =
an MBR bootable memory stick.  The commented out lines are a reminder to =
myself of how to copy over the ISO contents to the slice I create (I =
only do this when there is a new release so I forget.)
>>=20
>> gpart create -s MBR da0
>> gpart add -i 1 -t freebsd da0
>> gpart set -a active -i 1 da0
>> gpart bootcode -b /boot/mbr da0
>> gpart create -s BSD -n 8 da0s1
>> gpart add -t freebsd-ufs -i 1 da0s1
>> gpart bootcode -p /boot/boot -i 1 da0s1
>=20
> If you do here the following (instead of what you did above) should
> work just fine:
> gpart create -s GPT da0
> gpart add -i1 -s 256k -t freebsd-boot -b 40 da0
> gpart add -i2 -t freebsd-ufs da0
> gpart bootcode -b /boot/pmbr -p /boot/gptboot -i1 da0
>=20
> If you insist in having a BSD partitioning inside a MBR one, I should
> took a deeper look into the code and analyze why it is not working as
> it should.
>=20
>> # newfs da0s1a
>> # mount /dev/da0s1a /mnt/usb
>> # mdconfig -a -t vnode -f =
/u1/ISOs/FreeBSD/11.1/FreeBSD-11.1-RELEASE-amd64-dvd1.iso
>> # mount -t cd9660 /dev/md0 /mnt/dvd
>> # cp -pr /mnt/dvd/* /mnt/usb
>> # umount /mnt/usb
>>=20
>> What I=E2=80=99ve found that=E2=80=99s interesting is that the slice =
creation doesn=E2=80=99t seem to be persistent.  By that I mean that if =
I run the above script (included the commented stuff.)  I can clearly =
see the /mnt/usb contents are the same as the DVD.  If I then unmount =
/mnt/usb and remove the stick when I put it back in gpart show doesn=E2=80=
=99t seems to show the BSD label, just the MBR slice
>>=20
>> If I reinsert and do the following:
>> gpart create -s BSD -n 8 da0s1
>> gpart add -t freebsd-ufs -i 1 da0s1
>> gpart bootcode -p /boot/boot -i 1 da0s1
>> fsck /dev/da0s1a
>> mount /dev/da0s1a /mnt/usb
>>=20
>> Then the file system is there just as before.  The slice creation =
doesn=E2=80=99t seem persistent.  Am I missing something?  Is there =
something I have to do to commit the slice?  Is this a bug?