Date:      Mon, 15 Dec 1997 00:25:53 -0800
From:      Tristan Savatier <tristan@mpegtv.com>
To:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
Cc:        Petri Helenius <pete@sms.fi>, Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>, multimedia@freebsd.org, don@partsnow.com
Subject:   Re: RTP tools (was: Re: Remote and Voice control)

Amancio Hasty wrote:

> Well, just talk to XFree86 people to see if they can help us out for
> sure they have docs for doing the yuv to rgb stuff on the vga controllers
> and it has not been years seen win95 have been enjoying and fully
> exploiting directx for video playback in fact directx and active movie
> is a moving target.
>
> As for XIL vs whatever is irrelevant at this point given that XIL is
> not a standard.
>
> The best that we can do is provide an XFree86 . I have no desire to
> be dealing with Sun, SGI , HP , etc...

I understand, but I have no desire to interface with
proprietary API on each platforms either.

I am really happy that X exist, and is (almost) the same on every
unix system.

Look at what happens for audio: there are different APIs for Sun, HP,
SGI, Linux (OSS), etc...  There is no standard (the closest from
one is OSS).  I had to implement a different audio interface for
all those systems! total waste of time and efforts.

Doing this type of thing is a pain for developers,
and that's what killing Unix.

I don't want to do the same with Video.

The only propper way is to extend X in a standard way and that
the extension be supported by all the Unix vendors.  This way,
Unix may be "saved" from Microsoft.

Unfortunately Unix vendors seems to be
more interested to move to WinNT (or Java) than to make Unix survive
(look at Sun, HP, SGI !). Looks like they don't give a shit.

-t