Date:      Sat, 8 Apr 95 12:01 MSZ
From:      garyj@rks32.pcs.dec.com (Gary Jennejohn)
To:        current%freebsd.org@inet-gw-1.pa.dec.com
Subject:   Re: Disk performance

This is actually more about MB performance.

Rodney Grimes wrote:
>> I expect to be able towards the end of next week show some really
>> amazing numbers on a Pentium system with respect to memory speeds.
>> Let's all hope that the new EDO and Pipelined Burst SRAM stand up
>> to the theories and we start to see 100++MB/sec main memory speeds on
>> a Pentium like we should.

c't magazine ran a series of tests on the latest crop of PCI MBs
lately. Here are some of the results:

ASUS PCI/I-P54TP4 (Triton chipset) with 256kB burst SRAM and 16 MB
EDO main mem.
1st level cache: 407 MB/sec
2nd level cache: 65 MB/sec
Main mem: 39 MB/sec

The same MB without 2nd level cache but 16 MB EDO main mem.
1st level cache: 391 MB/sec
2nd level cache: N/A
Main mem: 44 MB/sec

This board is actually faster w/o the 2nd level cache when EDO RAM
is used ! This was the fastet of all (6) configurations tested.

The memmory transfer speeds were tested using some DOS utility developed
by c't. Performance might look different under FBSD.

They tested a whole slew of other things (SCSI, tranfers to a graphics
card, etc.), but it's too much to copy.

There's still a ways to go to achieve 100++MB/sec to main mem.

Gary J.