Date:      Mon, 14 Feb 2000 17:12:50 -0500
From:      Spike Gronim <william@brainlink.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD 3.4 installation problems.

Hello.

	I've got a problem installing FreeBSD 3.4 on an old 100MHz Pentium
box. I've created two floppies using the images on the 1st 3.4 CD. The
kernel loads, and then the mfs_root image loads as well (lsmod from the
boot loader reveals that both are being loaded). The kernel boots, and
after device configuration all the devices in the system are successfully
detected. However, at the end of the boot process, after "changing root
device to fd0a", the kernel can not find init or sysinstall, as if it were
not looking in the MFS image for them. With the verbose flag set I can see
it trying /sbin/init, /sbin/init.bak, /sbin/oinit, and /stand/sysinstall,
none of which it finds. I've never had such a problem with FreeBSD
installs before. How should I go about convincing this thing that it has
sysinstall?

	Please CC: directly to me as I do not subscribe to this
list. Thank you.

--

	--Spike Gronim
	  gronimw@stuy.edu

	"Oh yes?  An obscene triangle which, has more courage than the word."