Date:      Fri, 12 Feb 1999 09:37:04 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
To:        Simon Shapiro <shimon@simon-shapiro.org>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: X11 - Again...

On Thu, 11 Feb 1999, Simon Shapiro wrote:

> Hi Y'll,
>
> First, many thanx for the X11 patches.  Some questions remain:
>
> *  Compilation fails for many servers. Mainly in assembling some routines
>    in the vgaX directories.  Are there Alpha equivalents?
>
> *  No VGA server builds, thus, XF86config fails.
>
> *  Is there a buildable server for the Digital video cards?
>
> *  PEX seems to fail too.
>
> *  Following are the failing pieces (which I could not avoid, no matter how
>    I specified the configuration):
>
>       bin/XF86_I128
>       bin/XF86_Mono
>       bin/XF86_P9000
>       bin/XF86_SVGA
>       bin/scanpci
>       lib/X11/fonts/PEX/Roman.phont
>       lib/X11/fonts/PEX/Roman_M.phont
>       lib/modules/pex5.so

None of the SVGA drivers which use i386 assembler will work on the alpha.
Since these are typically drivers for obsolete board, there isn't much
incentive to change them.  You need to disable the SVGA drivers and
servers which are failing by editing xf86site.def I think.

I never had any problems with I128 or PEX but I haven't tried to build
3.3.3.1 yet (my patches are for 3.3.3).

--
Doug Rabson				Mail:  dfr@nlsystems.com