Date:      Wed, 3 Oct 2001 17:30:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cristjc@earthlink.net>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: bin/28738: IPFW log messages causes syslogd to fsync.

The following reply was made to PR bin/28738; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Crist J. Clark" <cristjc@earthlink.net>
To: pkern@utcs.utoronto.ca, dima@unixfreak.org
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2001 17:26:06 -0700

 IMHO, having LOG_SECURITY fsync for each message is a feature not a
 bug. However, there is a workaround available to those who don't want
 disk access for each message using the normal syslogd(8) capabilities.

 Instead of sending your security messages to a file,

   security.*				/var/log/security

 You can send them to a _program_ which sends them to a file. For
 example, we can make a simple buffer so that we need to get 10kB of
 messages before we write to the file,

   security.*				|/bin/dd obs=10k of=/var/log/security

 This will prevent the disk write for each message. Other utilities or
 even a custom program may suit your individual needs better.

 But I don't feel that messing with any hardcode is appropriate
 here. The ability to stop the fsync, which I think few people really
 want, can be done by simply reconfiguring your syslog.conf(5).

 Does this look workable to you?
                                          cjclark@jhu.edu
                                          cjc@freebsd.org