Date:      Wed, 22 Feb 2012 16:07:10 -0800
From:      "Adrian Chadd" <adrian.chadd@gmail.com>
To:        "Mark Dixon" <mnd999@gmail.com>, "freebsd-wireless@freebsd.org" <freebsd-wireless@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Bridge wired / wireless without hosting the network - is this possible

The problem is the source mac address.

When bridging, the source mac is the bridge if, not the ether/wifi mac.

Either you need to tell if-bridge to use the ethernet mac address and hooe=
 that works, or we need to do something nasty with mac address translation.=
 WDS would let you tunnel the bridge mac over wifi, but that's a whole othe=
r issue..

Adrian

Sent from my Palm Pre on AT&amp;T
On Feb 22, 2012 2:38 PM, Mark Dixon &lt;mnd999@gmail.com&gt; wrote:=20

Hi all,

Apologies if this has come up before but I can't see anything with a quick=
 google. I also tried freebsd-questions but nobody seemed to know there.

What I want to do is setup a bridge between my wireless network and a wired=
 one. Hostap I hear everyone cry but I don't think that will work because=
 I don't want to create a wireless network  - I want to join an existing on=
e because this box won't be turned on all the time. I also need the bridgin=
g desktop to have a DHCP acquired IP because it want to have internet acces=
s (I mainly use it for Scala dev).

Essentially, the network looks like this:

[Internet Router w/ DHCP] -----wired--[Switch] ---wired---[Airport Express]=
******wireless******[Desktop w/Freebsd9]-------wired-----[ReadyNAS]

What I want to do is have the freebsd (dual boot wi/ Windows) desktop bridg=
e to the readyNAS when it's turned on via the wireless LAN so that I can ac=
cess files on it. Unfortunately I can't connect the readyNAS to the switch=
 because the switch is in the living room and the readyNAS is too noisy. Wh=
en the desktop is running Windows 7 this is dead easy, but I can't figure=
 out how to do it under FreeBSD.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Mark