Date:      Thu, 27 Dec 2012 11:45:08 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <matthew@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Question: /usr/sbin/pkg vs /usr/local/sbin/pkg in 9.1

--------------enigCB3EF86E887AA713DE416D88

On 27/12/2012 10:38, Dimitry Andric wrote:
> On 2012-12-27 11:35, David Demelier wrote:
>> On 27/12/2012 11:02, Matthew Seaman wrote:

>>> pkgng is not in base and there are no plans to import it.  If you are=

>>> going to use pkgng then you need to install it, either from ports or =
by
>>> using the /usr/sbin/pkg shim to install from a pkgng package.

>> Why there is no plan to import it?

> Because pkgng is developed independently from the base system.  As soon=

> as you put a copy of it in base, it is no longer independent. :-)

Which somewhat begs the question as to why pkgng is developed
independently of the base system.  That is for entirely pragmatic
reasons: there are rules about what you can change in the lifetime of a
FreeBSD major or minor release.  Which for a project of the scope of
pkgng would basically mean taking many years to develop and adopt it.
This is one of the sticking points that has effectively stymied
development of pkg_tools over the years.

By keeping pkgng out of the base we get:

  * Exactly the same version of pkgng for all current versions of
    FreeBSD
    -- which is important, as it means port maintainers can generally
       rely on solving problems one time for all versions.

  * The ability to develop pkgng at as rapid a pace as we can maintain.
    -- there is still a large amount of new functionality yet to be
       introduced, particularly the dependency solver, which will be
       quite revolutionary when it comes in.

  * Related to the above, we have been able to arbitrarily declare that
    the libpkg.so API will not be stabilized until pkg-2.0 is released.
    -- again, purely pragmatic and to enable as rapid development as
       possible.

Despite this, we anticipate that there are changes to pkgng and
pkgng-related changes to the ports which we won't be able to introduce
until around April 2014 and the EoL of 8.3-RELEASE, which will be the las=
pre-pkgng release to go and hence the earliest date at which pkg_tools
support can be entirely ceased.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20