Date:      Mon, 14 Oct 1996 17:05:03 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
To:        jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com (Joe Greco)
Cc:        rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com, joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.org, jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com
Subject:   Re: Buslogic controller, Sync mode & a SCSI disk error

> > scsiformat(8) is destructive only, I can't fix a drive full of data
> > with it.  :-(.  How hard would it be to extend it so that it does
> > what the aha2940 ``verify'' mode does?
>
> Perhaps even with a nicer interface :-)  Personally I am quite fond
> of the "analyze" feature available in Sun format, but that is also a
> fair amount of additional work.

What do these utilities do?  How do they look?  How different is the behavior
from doing a read/write loop over an unmounted raw disk after
ensuring AWRE/ARRE are on, possibly with a read retry count and
a "force write to sector N if you exceed read retry errors at sector N"
option?

Since these read failures typically indicate the drive tried its
best already (and our system has issued additional retries also),
I'm not sure of what these utilities do other than
possibly turning off error checking and reading as much as it can.

--
Peter Dufault               Real-Time Machine Control and Simulation
HD Associates, Inc.         Voice: 508 433 6936