Date:      Sun, 17 Apr 2011 11:49:12 -0700
From:      Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd@jdc.parodius.com>
To:        Lystopad Olexandr <laa@laa.zp.ua>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, George Kontostanos <gkontos.mail@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: ZFS root on MB Intel S3420GP

On Sun, Apr 17, 2011 at 08:14:40PM +0400, Lystopad Olexandr wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 17, 2011 at 04:54:34PM +0300
> gkontos.mail@gmail.com wrote about "Re: ZFS root on MB Intel S3420GP":
> > There is a nice guide in the WIKI regarding how to install your system with
> > ZFS on root.
> >
> > http://wiki.freebsd.org/RootOnZFS/GPTZFSBoot/RAIDZ2
> >
> > In any case don't configure the raid in your controller and let ZFS take
> > care of this.
>
> Thanks for answer!
>
> Is it possible to hot change disks with zfs raid on my motherboard?

This has little to do with ZFS and more to do with SATA.  You will need
a hot-swap backplane for this to be possible.  Decent server chassis
usually provide this.  We use Supermicro systems with hot-swap backplanes
and they work fantastic with FreeBSD + ahci.ko.

If you do not have a hot-swap backplane, there is a very good chance
"strange things" will happen when you yank power or the signal cable.
I've personally tried it on a test system without a hot-swap bay.  When
I pulled the SATA power connector from the hard disk, I saw a blue spark
near the power connector and the entire system lost power.

I've blogged about hot-swapping SATA disks on FreeBSD with ZFS in use
and with ahci.ko, with full kernel output and all necessary details:

http://koitsu.wordpress.com/2010/07/22/freebsd-and-zfs-hot-swapping-sata-disks-with-ahci/

Please note the blog post demonstrated how I went about upgrading disks
without needing to power the system off.  Readers have commented how I
could have done it all by using the spare bay I had, but I explicitly
chose *not* to use that bay for the benefit of the readers who might not
have a spare bay.

Furthermore, the "zpool offline" steps probably aren't needed (ZFS
should note the disk as UNAVAIL immediately and the array should become
degraded), same with "zpool online".  I should really refine those
procedures, or re-do the post for present-day 8.2-RELEASE.

When doing administrative/maintenance tasks, I tend to do as much
possible to ensure the kernel/system knows what I'm about to do.  :-)

If you want me to perform an actual disk failure (literally yanking a
disk out of a bay while the disk is in use + part of a ZFS pool), I can
do that without any worry and provide the results here.  Just ask.

--
| Jeremy Chadwick                                   jdc@parodius.com |