Date:      Wed, 8 Nov 1995 06:25:03 +0000 ()
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Would like cdev major for driver...

Greetings people.

Finally, after far too much prevarication with user-mode IO on a card that
Just Doesn't Work Like That, I've decided to do things properly and write
a Real Driver (tm) for it.

Amazingly enough, it works, at least so far 8)  (The card is a digital
I/O card, and I'm only using a very limited subset of its functionality,
but the card is fast, common, cheap and flexible, so it may well be hacked
on by others wanting this sort of thing.)

Anyway, blather aside, I've been okayed to release the driver under the BSD
copyright, and I feel it may eventually be useful to someone, so I'd
like to request a cdev major number for it.

If any more details are required, feel free to ask.  Julian - if you've
finalised a skeleton for devfs-ing drivers, I'll happily bolt it in.
We'll be using this with 2.1 systems though, so I'd still like a non-
-conflicting major.

(ps. to the DDWG author; you ought to mention editing conf.c and files.386
if you haven't already, it's been a while since I last looked.)

]] High-speed data acquisition and      (GSM mobile) 041-122-496        [[
]] My car has "demand start" -Terry Lambert  UNIX: live FreeBSD or die! [[