Date:      Tue, 25 Mar 2003 02:35:18 -0500
From:      Brent Verner <brent@rcfile.org>
To:        Ari Suutari <ari.suutari@syncrontech.com>
Cc:        Ernst de Haan <ernst.dehaan@nl.wanadoo.com>, freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [patch] daemonctl.c modified to use JAVA_HOME environment variable

[2003-03-25 09:09] Ari Suutari said:
| Hi,

Hiya.

| On Monday 24 March 2003 16:26, Brent Verner wrote:
| > This has turned into a little more than a patch at this point... :-)
|
| 	Well this looks really good. Now I can now drop
| 	my own hacked non-XML version :-)

Thank you.  You didn't look at the foul code did you :-P

| > This should probably be a separate port, and just have each
| > dependent package install its xml config into
| > /usr/local/etc/daemonct.d/ and create its symlink to the
| > daemonctl binary.
| >
| 	Sounds good.
|
| 	I tried the program. It seems to work mostly ok, but
| 	I noticed two minor problems:

There are _many_ more undone bits :-)  The TODO file contains
a (short) list of things I'm hoping I can make some time
Wednesday evening to address.

| 	- when the program is invoked without path
| 	(ie. just say "tomcat41ctl") it dumps core.
| 	This happens on line saying:
|
| 	progname = (rindex(argv[0],'/') + 1);
|
| 	- when pilot makes an error and types illegal
| 	argument (for example "tomcat41ctl blaah") the
| 	program dumps core.

yes, the stuff is really at a proof-of-concept stage to
get some discussion going.

| 	Actually, there is something more, when starting
| 	tomcat with tomcat41ctl start, it doesn't start as daemon.
| 	Or is this not implemented yet ?

Yes, until the fork() bits are written, the daemonctl program
can't fully "manage" the process by pid.  I'm currently using
the "start" argument to the catalina.sh script.  I only left
the "run -security" arguments in the example tomcat41ctl.xml
to show the eventual goal.

  <start>
    <exec>/usr/local/jakarta-tomcat4.1/bin/catalina.sh</exec>
    <arg>start</arg>
  </start>

Thanks much for checking this stuff out.  I hope that we can
get this stuff into the ports tree, to make FreeBSD an even
better platform for java services.

cheers.

to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing."  -- Duane Allman