Date:      Tue, 10 Jun 2008 18:55:21 +0200
From:      Martin <nakal@web.de>
To:        Greg Black <freebsd-nospam@yaxom.com>
Cc:        Jerahmy Pocott <quakenet1@optusnet.com.au>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DVD-RW doesn't write

Am Tue, 10 Jun 2008 18:03:21 +1000
schrieb Greg Black <freebsd-nospam@yaxom.com>:

> Just for the record, I've been using burncd successfully with a
> variety of drives from the early days of FreeBSD through to at least
> 7.0-R, so I doubt if the above means very much.

Hi.

I have 2 drives here that don't work properly. Burning CDs/DVDs is quite
broken on both of them.

First drive (LG HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4167B DL13):
I can burn a CD with 5x as maximal speed.
cdrecord reports something about DMA not working as expected.
A can be burnt, too, but also very slow. Most drives have difficulties
to read a DVD burnt with this drive.

One workaround would be to enable burnfree, but this results in the DVD
being unreadable.

I have severe problems playing DVD movies (originals!). Even trying to
insert such a DVD results in extreme slow system, load going up through
the ceiling so that my mouse cursor does not move anymore. Forcing an
eject will crash the whole system.

Second drive is the one in my Thinkpad T60p:
I can burn CDs. Also only very slowly. I can burn DVDs but they will be
unreadable everywhere.

Systems are: FreeBSD-7-STABLE i386 and amd64.
I had problems with CD/DVD burning since 5.2 AFAIR somewhere in RC
phase. I reported them and till now waiting patiently for corrections ;)
New is that playing movies can make your system unusable.

I just wanted to say "Me too!".

--
Thanks,
Martin