Date:      Wed, 14 May 1997 11:38:11 +0000 (GMT)
From:      ee96199@tom.fe.up.pt
To:        David Greenman <dg@root.com>
Cc:        Random Junk <jsd@gamespot.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: memory usage

On Tue, 13 May 1997, David Greenman wrote:

> >can someone explain this top output to me?
> >
> >Mem: 64M Active, 23M Inact, 21M Wired, 15M Cache, 8332K Buf, 176K Free
> >Swap: 262M Total, 42M Used, 220M Free, 16% Inuse

This is also one of my greatest questions with FreeBSD's top.

>    The important figure is "cache". In 2.1.x, cache+free can be used as a rough
> indicator of the amount of available memory. However, also note that your
> swap usage is fairly high...this probably means that you are near the max and
> should get more memory before increasing the ftp limit higher.

And with 2.2.x? Since you, David, are the Principal Architect could you
explain with some detail what these values mean?

> -DG
>
> David Greenman
> Core-team/Principal Architect, The FreeBSD Project

Jorge

PS: I was going to mail a question like this to this mailing list... but
someone asked it first... :-) This is really a big World!