Date:      Sat, 27 May 1995 20:35:28 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        amoss@cs.huji.ac.il, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: mount "features"

>|In FreeBSD, you can mount multiple times at the same mount point.  Each
>|mount gives another layer that hides the previous layer if the default

>Could you please explain what do you mean by "another layer"?  Does it
>mean the formers mounts are simply ignored until the later ones are
>unmounted?  Or do the later mounts affect how the partitions mounted
>by the former mounts are accessed?

>Seems to me like the first option, but maybe I miss something?

Yes, the file names for the former mounts are invisible until the
later ones are unmounted.  But this is only for the simplest case.
There are options to control the ordering of the layers and whether
the top layer hides the lower layers.  See the man page for mount_union.
The general case is too buggy to use in FreeBSD.

Bruce