Date:      Tue, 21 Mar 1995 23:37:10 GMT
From:      steve2@genesis.tiac.net (Steve Gerakines)
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Problems with 2940 and 950210snap

> > Two tape frobbing commands does strike me as more than a little silly,
> > and `mt' is the historical standard.
>
> Actually, there are three tape commands mt, st, and ft.  If st is
> eliminated on historical grounds, then ft should also suffer the same
> fate.

Ugh.  Ft is very different from mt/st so currently dropping it or
rolling it into the ft driver is impossible.  Rolling it into a generic
tape command isn't a good idea either since at the moment I'm working on
changing the driver to behave like a regular mt device with a fixed
1K blocksize.  If I can squeeze decent performance out of it and the
driver doesn't become extremely huge, hopefully it will vanish.

- Steve
steve2@genesis.tiac.net