Date:      Tue, 2 May 2006 11:09:14 +0400
From:      "Yuriy Tsibizov" <Yuriy.Tsibizov@gfk.ru>
To:        "Hans-Werner Braun" <hwb@hpwren.ucsd.edu>, <freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Multi-channel sound input (WAS: Multi-channel sound output)

> For example,
> once I get the output working, a next question will be how to read
> from a microphone-quad (or more) while still getting phasing/etc.
> right.
As I know, there are no multichannel recording hardware with FreeBSD =
drivers available. It can be possible to use multichannel audio over =
FireWire  (like http://mackie.com/products/onyx1220/index.html mixer =
with FireWire option card) if you need exact phasing, but I'm not shure =
they use "Audio and Music Data Transmission Protocol 2.1" =
Audio-Over-Firewire =
(http://www.1394ta.org/Technology/Specifications/specifications.htm) =
that will be possible to implement or some proprietary protocol (and you =
will need to get technical info from Mackie). It will be possible that =
you will need to write non-audio driver to send raw FireWire data and =
process it later, to avoid small delays when you demultiplex several =
channels into separate PCM streams that can cause phase shifts.

Yuriy.