Date:      Sat, 12 Apr 1997 09:50:11 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        www@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Comments on new search page..

On Sat, 12 Apr 1997, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> useful (connectivity from California to Germany or OZ is unusably
> slow or even non-existant during most parts of the business day now).

Indiana seems to have a pretty decent German link, often better
than to California!  I think the problem is at YOUR end Jordan.
:)

In the short term, we should probably put country names in
parenthesis after the services to give people a subtle warning
to the user.

In the long term, we have to consider our mirrors before we do
anything that would make the web tree grow dramatically.

Mirrors are fansatic, don't get me wrong, but the really put a
crimp on freedom of design.  For example, lots of small CGIs
could make the web site nicer if we could get all the mirrors to
run CGI scripts.  On the home page, for example, the mirror
selection CGI is hardwired to freefall.  That should definately
not be the case.  A long time ago I hacked up a little CGI to
allow selecting an FTP mirror for ftp://... links. I'm sure you
can imagine other little CGI based enhancements.

A "mirror inspector" is one of the web support positions that I
haven't seen much of any action on.  :(

-john