Date:      Sun, 21 Sep 2003 13:13:11 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Alban Hertroys <dalroi@solfertje.student.utwente.nl>
To:        Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: upgrading

On 21 Sep, Matthew Seaman hit a keyboard in the following places:
>     # shutdown -r now

Hmm, I usually prefer to do  just: #shutdown now
so that I end up in single user mode immedately. I usually check 'ps' to see
whether no daemons are running (fleeing?) that should have died.
This method has the effect that you're still running the same kernel,
but I'm now unsure whether that's a good or a bad thing.

If you reboot (with '-r'), you are booting a system where the kernel is
upgraded, but the rest of the system isn't. That could cause startup
scripts to fail and the like.

OTOH, if you don't, are you using the installed install tools or the
upgraded ones (which may require the new kernel) when running
installworld?

I'm getting a bit confused here...

> (Various output will scroll past.  When prompted for what shell to
> run, just hit return)
>
>     # fsck -p
>     # swapon -a
>     # mount -a

Careful there, you don't want to mount NFS mounts and the like. I
usually do (depends on your partitioning):

	mount -u /
	mount /tmp
	mount /var
	mount /usr

I usually leave out /home and other mount points that aren't needed by
installworld, so that they can't get corrupted if something gets
screwed up (likely by me).

Looking at the mount man page, you could also create an alternate
"minimal" fstab file, and do mount -a -F <your minimal fstab here>.
I think I'll have a (f)stab at that... ;)

--

Alban Hertroys                      http://solfertje.student.utwente.nl
            No, it's not a bug!