Date:      Thu, 23 Dec 1999 01:14:32 +1030 (CST)
From:      Matthew Thyer <matt@camtech.net.au>
To:        Thierry Herbelot <herbelot@cybercable.fr>
Cc:        djb@relativity.student.utwente.nl, Tom Embt <tom@embt.com>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BP6 (Was Re: Success with ATA drivers and UDMA66)

I know your talking SMP but thought you'd like to know some temps for UP
systems as well...

I have a Celeron 300a that I overclock to 464 MHz (100 MHz FSB + extra
turbo frequency boost) running at 2.1 v and it runs at about 30 degrees
celcius when idle and at 52 degrees when running setiathome (was 50
degrees in winter).

A friend of mine running an ISP on FreeBSD has alarms set at 53 degrees
(and they haven't gone off unless there has been a problem to date).

A friend of above friend (in Sydney) has all his machines running quite
reliably at 96 degrees (yes celcius).  His alarms dont go off until 104!
I dont think he has any airconditioning in his machine room.

I cant speak for what the other peoples hardware is but it appears that
the Intel CPUs can take quite a beating.... I wouldn't be worried until
you hit at least 65 degrees.

On Wed, 22 Dec 1999, Thierry Herbelot wrote:

> "Dave J. Boers" wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, Dec 21, 1999 at 11:22:12PM +0100, Thierry Herbelot wrote:
> > > Let's start a thread on the BP6 ? (the release of the board was
> > > carefully synchronized with stable SMP releases of FreeBSD : kudos to
> > > the FreeBSD release engineering team ;-))
> >
> > I second that! Running -current since October and never had a serious SMP
> > problem.
> >

> I was not really serious, but the nearly simultaneous release of a
> "stable" SMP FreeBSD and a very inexpensive Dual MoBo was a very
> pleasant surprise.
>
> [SNIP]
> > I think the PS is pressed to its limits because if
> > I add just one more drive (5400 RPM IDE disk) it's over the edge. Those
> > Celeron's must be eating lot's of power (they are 400 Mhz ones running at
> > 75 Mhz bus speed).
> >
> > > Is it possible to directly boot from the HPT-366 controller ? (I know
> > > the BIOS is ok, but is there any problem with the new ata driver ?)
> >
> > I'm doing it currently.
>
> Very fine
>
> [SNIP]
>
> > I would like to know how HOT other people's processors get. In the
> > stationary situation I have a system core (= processor average) temperature
> > of 46 and a case temperature of 50 degrees Celcius/Centigrade.
>
> What do you use for temp. watching ? (I fetched a little hack which is
> called wmtempmon). My temps are somewhat lower : around 35/36 °C, as
> I've installed "Alpha" coolers, bought from www.3dfx.com. One colleague
> at work uses the same sink/fan combo, but with peltier and a monstrous
> PSU to get to 572MHz. I've also loaded the latest BIOS from Abit.
>
> 	TfH
>
> > Don't ask why case temperature is higher than core temperature! I don't get
> > it either. The hard drives are not even above 30 degrees. Maybe it's the
> > graphics board (viper 550 agp): it's doing 1600x1200@85Hz.
> >
> > I once clocked the system at 500 Mhz (83 Mhz bus), which runs fine but
> > then things get way too hot.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Dave Boers.
> >
> > --
> >   God, root, what's the difference?
> >   djb@relativity.student.utwente.nl

| Work: Matthew.Thyer@dsto.defence.gov.au | Home: thyerm@camtech.net.au |
"If it is true that our Universe has a zero net value for all conserved
quantities, then it may simply be a fluctuation of the vacuum of some
larger space in which our Universe is imbedded. In answer to the
question of why it happened, I offer the modest proposal that our
Universe is simply one of those things which happen from time to time."
 E. P. Tryon   from "Nature" Vol.246 Dec.14, 1973