Date:      Fri, 10 Mar 1995 09:02:34 -0700
From:      Gary Aitken <garya@boulder.openware.com>
To:        PCOBAS%ESOC.BITNET@vm.gmd.de
Cc:        oi-users@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: Rules to speed up the creation of OI objects

> We are having time problems when we try either to load a
> big configuration file or creating dinamically OI objects. It
> takes a long time to create the objects.

This won't help for .cf file loading, but if you bracket the addition
of children to a parent object with suspend/resume_layout, it should
help:

	app->set_layout(OI_layout_row);
	app->suspend_layout();

	... create a bunch of objects and lay out in app

	app->resume_layout();

> For instance we have to create an OI_app_window with around
> 64 OI_boxes, 240 OI_entry_fiels and 64 OI_buttons, and it
> takes around 30 seconds.

One problem you may be seeing here is X server related -- the server bogs
down terribly when many windows are created as children of another window,
which happens in the above case.  Not sure how much of the problem you
are seeing is related to this.  One way to investigate it would be to
group sets of the objects together into other containers, making a somewhat
deeper hierarchy, and seeing how it affects performance.  I can't remember
where the performance gets lousy in terms of numbers; you may be under it,
so this may not be an issue.  I would guess it is more related to geometry
management (layout), so the suspend/resume scenario may help.