Date:      Mon, 15 Jul 1996 10:17:51 +0100 (BST)
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@render.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NFSv3 fixes for review

On Sat, 13 Jul 1996, Terry Lambert wrote:

> > I have just integrated some fixes to the NFSv3 code from Frank van der
> > Linden (frank@fwi.uva.nl).  The first bug is the same one as the
> > 'corrupt output from makesyscalls.sh on an nfsv3 mount' bug.  I have
> > verified this one by testing on a loopback mount (which is all I can
> > do from my home machine).  I have not tried to reproduce the second
> > two problems but the fixes seem safe.
> >
> > While I was here, I also fixed the truncated 32bit minor numbers on
> > nfsv3 mount bug.  I believe that Bruce originally suggested the fix
> > for this?
> >
> > Could someone please review these changes (diffs included) so that I
> > can commit them.
>
> This fix seems to work right for me. I'm nervous about the use of the
> timeval, mostly because I'm not sure that it is monotonically
> increasing in the ntpd time synchronization case (and haven't
> looked deep enough to verify that the reported time from the
> microtime is not affected by adjustments.
>
> Is there a seperate monotonically increasing clock, which is not
> modified by time adjust?  I guess this would be a factor only on a
> system with a relatively high drift rate (such that a reboot could
> occur such that the delay did not exceed the drift, causing the XID
> to go backward).

I think that the time is only used to specify the first xid used.
Subsequent ids just increment the first one.  The fix was needed because
some servers noticed xids for a client going back to zero when the client
rebooted and complained.

--
Doug Rabson, Microsoft RenderMorphics Ltd.	Mail:  dfr@render.com
						Phone: +44 171 251 4411